Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Jabba Love

What up world,

I love America's Best Dance Crew. I'm not ashamed of this fact. I record the episodes on Thursday nights, watch them at least twice by rewinding through each of the dancing portions, and then typically watch the episodes again on mtv.com to fill my time through the rest of the week. I follow the gospel of Mario Lopez and his crater sized dimples, calling the show ABDC and saying things like, "That performance was fresh to death."

Within the first 10 beats of a song, in the very first episode of the year, I will decide whether or not I like a group. In every season so far, I have immediately fallen in love with a certain crew and then creepily researched and stalked them through the internets. Currently I am actively creeping on The Beat Freaks. During season two it was Supercrew. However, the crew that consistently pushes me to a solid 9 o'clock every time that I see them is Jabbawockeez.



Over a year ago, I sat in the living room of my apartment, slightly hungover, watching ABDC with my roommates. Jabbawockeez came out in their white masks during the elimination episode and laid down a giant bag of breaking craziness on the stage. After watching the full episode, I fired up the Youtube and collected every video of the Jabbas that I could find. If you ask my roommates or coworkers at the time, they will tell you that my obsession was more than unhealthy.

I have a couple of reasons for dispelling this knowledge upon you, my loyal readers. One was that I received an email from Brent, asking why the "Jaberwokies" were in the new G Gatorade commercials.

First of all, get your spelling together Brent. Jabbawockeez deserve your respect. Secondly, they completely dominate the commercial. There are several versions of the spot, but I will focus on one that was shown during the super bowl. Jabbawockeez appear toward the end of the clip, sandwiched in between Tiger and Peyton Manning. Tiger says, "Always trying to be better, each and every day," and then flashes his massive teeth to distract from his receading hairline.

Then the Jabba's appear and say, "Finding yourself through movement." This may be the most important four words ever spoken. "I have a dream?" Please. Preach Jabba's, preach.

Following their appearance is Peyton Manning, who shrugs his shoulders and says, "That's G." Seriously Gatorade. You picked Peyton to deliver this line? This is like my dad trying to use a phrase like "That's phat" or "Wasn't that nasty?" to appear young and hip. No one wants to hear you play an actual guitar Peyton. Not when we have Guitar Hero. Brent, you've just been taken to school.

The second reason that I have been thinking about the Jabbawockeez was due to their appearance in the All Star Game yesterday. For Shaq's introduction, he came out with the Jabba's, did a choreographed dance, and proceeded to tear his pants off. The clip is below (provided that TNT doesn't ban it from Youtube play).



I have a couple of thoughts of the dance.

1) It was awesome
2) Shaq looked like he was massive in comparison to the Jabbawockeez crew. I know that he's over 7 feet tall, but he looked like Godzilla compared to them. If he would have picked one of them up and taken a bite, I would not have been surprised.
3) The Big Shaq-tus is maybe my favorite Shaq nickname of all time.
4) Shaq's mask didn't look like it fit him all that well, which means that he probably has a massive noggin. It looks proportionate to the rest of his body, but it may be one of the biggest heads in history. If he had a football helment, I would imagine that a normal person could raft down a river in it.
5) It was awesome.

All in all, I love the amount of Jabba's in my life right now. There was a brief period of depression when the first season of ABDC was done, and I couldn't get my weekly fix of their dancing. However, due to a steady diet of G commercials and a random appearance here and there, I manage to avoid the shakes and dealing with the effects of withdrawal.

Jabba for life. Go Beat Freaks.

-Sota

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In my defense I was drunk when I sent that text with the mis-spelling.