Monday, February 23, 2009

First Loves

What up world,

There is so much going on in the Minnesota sporting world right now. So many topics to choose from. Here's a quick recap:

-The Twins have finally made some moves, and are one step closer to their goal of have a full roster of Joe's (current count; 4, counting Jose Mijares).

-The Vikes are contemplating adding some herbal healing to their quarterback roster. Get it? Sage. Brilliant!

-The Wild seem to be doing some stuff, but I don't really follow them too closely.

Regardless of all these other events, I want to continue focusing on the Timberwolves. They are losing more than a Biggest Loser contestant and don't seem to have any hope of a successful season, but for some reason, I've fallen back in love with the team.

The Timberwolves were my first love. In the formative years of my youth, I dealt with pressure from my parents to cheer for the Packers while also suffering through the many losing seasons of the mid-90's Twins. I felt lost and confused. I didn't know where to turn.

I had been attending Timberwolves games with my dad since the 1987 inagural season. I had watched Scottie Brooks, Pooh Richardson, Gerald Glass, and Randy Breuer struggle through the first couple of seasons in Minneapolis, but I still had their posters on my walls and continued to watch their games. I even went to the Timberwolves basketball camp in 5th grade. I was getting butterflies in my stomach and writing the team love notes.

And then, in 1995, with the drafting of a player from Farragut Career Academy, I was head over heels. Throughout the late 90's and 2000's, I was obsessed with the team. KG made me believe in the power of hoops. One of the happiest moments of my life was when the Wolves beat the Sacramento Kings in 2004 to advance to the western conference finals. Although the team ended up losing to the Lakers in the next series, there was a moment where I felt like we had won a championship. Minnesota fans have to find their victories wherever they can find them.

As I wrote in a previous post, the breakup with KG was really hard. It wasn't until the January win streak that I thought I might be able to revisit my previous relationship. Since that time, the Timberwolves and I have had long talks, some emotional moments, and even a couple of drunk dials, which has resulted in a newfound affection for the team.

For now, all of my blogging efforts will focus on the Wolves. Even through the many loses that will accumulate in the next couple of months. I am committed to reestablishing this relationship and will push all of my energy and affection in their direction...

...until the Twins start playing again. I can't help myself. They're so cuddly.

-Sota

No comments: