Saturday, April 3, 2010

Working Into a Frenzy

What up world,

My excitement is reaching dangerous levels. My heart beat is erratic, I'm randomly breaking into episodes of sweating, and I'm constantly on the verge of a Justin-Bieber-sighting screaming attack. Here are three reasons why:

1) Jo Jo Ma loves us (and money): Mauer signed an 8 year contract to stay with the team. He will be conducting sweet symphonies from behind the plate for the majority of my 30's. He and I are going to grow old together. It's like he gave me a promise ring, with the engagement and the Hall of Fame soon to follow. Yipee!

2) The end of Spring Training: Spring Training is always a tricky time. I'm constantly looking for updates on the team, whether it's in the national media or the local electronic papers. The problem is that the national media isn't always discussing the team. There may be a mention here and there, but I wish that they could forget about the Red Sox, Yankees, and Rays and dedicate all their attention on the Twins.

To get my Twins information fix, I turn to the Strib. There's nothing wrong with that except that there can be a certain amount of inflated optimism prior to season start. There are reports of Jim Thome's springtime dominance, stories about the giant leaps of little Twinky prospects, and testimonials of Saint Francisco's 1,000 mph fastball and devastating slider. I flip from story to story with mini-explosions occurring in my brain. I'm worried about my continued brain functions.

3) Target Field: Let me say it again. Target Field! Not quite there. One more time. TARGET FIELD!!! Oh my God. Just writing it caused me to start shedding tears. Not tears of sadness. I do not miss the Metrodome in any way. These are tears of pure joy. Two winters ago, I sat with a friend outside of the partially completed stadium, staring into the field and discussing important life matters. It just seemed like the place to do such a thing.

That friend, we'll call him Nathan L, just texted me from the confines of said stadium. Here is the transcript of that text:

"Target Field is uber-orgasmic, which is even better than orgasmic."

After the first game yesterday, I spent an hour reading the Strib articles about the stadium experience. I watched video, looked at pictures, and read reader comments. The desire to get in my car and start driving north was unbearable.

Although I live in the corner of the country, have no job, and am running desperately low on money, I'm still making plans to get home for a game (if not several) this summer. The more that I see and hear about the team and the field, the stronger the magnetic pull to my homeland becomes.

For now, however, I will continue sitting in my apartment, working myself into an even greater frenzy. Bring on Opening Day!

-Sota

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is the basement bedroom with the lovely PB duvet