Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Return Migration

What up world,

Over a year ago, as I was trying to get acquainted with the 2008-2009 Timberwolves roster, I discovered the presence of Brian Cardinal. At the time, he was the third highest paid player on our roster. I couldn't believe that we were paying someone so much for so little production. His contributions to the Timberwolves roster were about as much as this blog's contribution to the internet: Unbridled enthusiasm and very few good points.



Cardinal's cheeriness remained as the team moved into the current season, however it wasn't quite enough to justify his $7 million salary. In February he was traded to the New York Knicks, who promptly cut him for salary cap relief. According to league rules, he was allowed to sign with any team, except for the Timberwolves. For him to return, he would have to wait for 30 days.

Brian wasn't comfortable being pushed out of the nest. He had not quite learned to fly, or feed himself and was missing the comforts of home. He remained in Minnesota and spent time playing with his children. From the Strib, "He settled into a routine at his Minneapolis home -- teaching his 1-year-old daughter Emery to swim, taking his 3-year-old son Bryson to gymnastics class -- and watched Wolves games on television."

I can admire that. There's nothing wrong with spending time with the family, or with staying in cold-ass Minnesota. What I do have an issue with is the fact that he's taking his son to gymnastics classes. No Brian!!! No!!! I had to go through that hell. My mom would force me to go to gymnastics, where I was in an all-girl class, where I couldn't do a proper cartwheel. It didn't teach me any important life lessons, other than to feel embarrassment at a very early age. Shame on you Brian!

I digress. The fact that I couldn't do a pull-up on the uneven bars still hurts.

Anyway, after his mandatory waiting period, Cardinal was brought back to the Timberwolves. He won't contribute much for the remainder of the season, other than high-fiving players and spreading cheer in the locker room, but at least he's back doing what he loves. This bird, who was forced out too early, is much happier. Instead of comparing him to Big Bird, as I had previously done, he has earned a different cartoon representative.



Welcome back Brian

-Sota

No comments: