Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Death of a Season

What up world,

I'm sad. There's not much more to say than that. However, just saying "I'm sad" would make for a less-than-entertaining blog entry. So, in the interest of all of you in blogland, I will elaborate.

The season hasn't even begun, and yet I'm already writing off the Twins. Is it because Jo Jo Ma's contract negotiation complications? Not really. Is it because of our mediocre starting pitching rotation? Maybe a little. Could it be due to the continued presence of our infuriating left-fielder, The Delmonic? No, I've accepted that fact.

The reason for my sadness is because of the injury news that was blasted across national media outlets throughout the day. Our workhorse, our automatic, our closer is probably gone for 2010, and maybe even longer.

He goes by many names: Twitchy McXanex, The Nathaniest of Joes, The Vice President, Horseface Killer, Joe Nathan. Regardless of what you call him, he was our underrated superstar. He was Mariano Rivera without the New York backdrop, New York media hype, and New York money. Although he showed some signs of trouble throughout the 2009 season, he still had 47 saves in 52 save opportunities, a .171 batting average against, and a .210 ERA.

My keyboard is now covered in tears. I'm sorry! I'm emotional! The news arrived today that the recent pain in Joe's elbow is not due to bone chips or scar tissue, but is because of a torn ligament. Oh, God! It's hurts that much more when I see it written.

The only thing that I can compare it to is the injury of a horse named Barbaro a couple of years ago. He came up lame just 200 yards into the Preakness after winning the Kentucky Derby. So much promise, so much potential. Barbaro could have been the first triple crown winner in 30 years.


__Barbaro in memoriam_____________ Joe Nathan in memoriam___



What could have been their child.
Very fast, with a mean fastball.



Like Barbaro, Joe Nathan could have been a key piece to the most successful Twins team in 19 years. After a consultation last week with Dr. Charles Kroenenburg, visions of a snowy World Series had already started to dance around my mind grapes. Without Horseface, our inaugural season in Target Field could prove to be very mediocre.


The good doctor.

Barbaro was able to survive for nearly 6 months after his injury, due to the care of his owners and the overwhelming support of the general public. I think, if we could start a "Save Joe Nathan" campaign, he might stand a chance. Not only will he be able to pitch for the majority of the season, but he will also avoid being euthanized. Everyone wins! I'm calling on the vast number of readers that follow this blog to do what you can to support our closer. It's up to you now. Save Joe!

-Sota

No comments: