Thursday, March 11, 2010

Worlds Colliding

What up world,

I'm doing my part for the Vikings. Really, I am. Since the turn of the century, when I moved away from my homeland, I've been spreading Viking cheer far and wide.

-In Wisconsin, while working as a bartender, I poured countless "Purple Pride" shots. Especially for patrons that were obvious Packer fans.

-In Chicago, I proudly wore my Vikings wristbands and Purple Jesus t-shirt as I roamed the city streets. I ridiculed Rex Grossman on a regular basis. I cheered as AP scored touchdowns, won games, and crushed Bears fans' spirits.

-In San Diego, I've converted multiple non-believers into fans of the team. There was the Minnesota-born, Arizona-bred coworker that didn't really care, the roommate that had cheered for the Pack his entire life, and the homeless guy that sits in front of the CVS (I yelled "Go Vikes!" to him after the Cowboys playoff game, and he gave me a drug-addled smile).

I can't help but think that my enthusiasm has slowly spread throughout each of these cities. I'm like Haley Joel Osment in "Pay it Forward", except I'm spreading something much more important and meaningful than good deeds: Love of the Purple.

Over time, these whispers regarding Minnesota's amazingness made their way into NFL locker rooms. That's my best guess. In each state, a free agent has left their team and their city in order to join the Vikes. It's not because of the money that Ziggy throws at them or the previous season's successes. No, it's because of my underground support of the team. I'm convinced.

-In Wisconsin, Darren Sharper couldn't help but hear the rumors. We had looked for a reliable, ball-hawking member of the secondary for years. Sharper was disgusted with the Packers, their fans especially. He heard of the loyal support and the lack of orange hunting jumpsuits in the Metrodome, and made his way to Minnesota in 2005.

In 2006, we needed a reliable, aptly named kicker for our team. Ryan Longwell was the best fit in my eyes, and I worked extra hard to get him. Using Sharper, I managed to convince Longwell that the Vikings held the path to future glory and an extended career. He couldn't wait to put on the uniform.

And then, in 2009, after 15 years of work on my part, I finally convinced Brett to join us. It was hard work. It caused me to question my purpose many times, but I always had faith that he would eventually see the light. Since he signed, he has told me repeatedly that he wished he would have converted sooner, but that the citizens of Green Bay had threatened to lock him in a room with their most die-hard, bikini clad, female fans if he ever left. The potential of this horrifying vision was too much for him to bear, and he needed to make sure that he, and his family, were safe before venturing westward.

-While living in Chicago, I sat down with Bernard Berrian to discuss his future. He told me that he had been hearing quite a bit about Minnesota, and was wondering if I could provide any further insight. I explained to him that the entire Bears roster was holding him back. That Minnesotans would welcome him with open arms. I told him that his true potential would never be reached while playing alongside such awful athletes.

By the end of our dinner, he was in tears. He wanted to punch Rex Grossman in the face. I calmed him down, and a week later, he was in Mankato, singing "Skoal Vikings" the entire time.

-I've now been in San Diego for two years. I have nothing against the Chargers. I cheered for them throughout the season. I like certain members of the team. Although the fans can be quite douchey, they aren't nearly as bad as Packer fans. Plus, the Charger theme song might be the greatest piece of music ever recorded. Check out the link below.



There has been a certain Charger that I've admired from afar for his entire career. He's featured throughout this video, and like the players I've mentioned above, has started to hear fantastic things about the Twin Cities. He made a visit there this week, meeting with Brad Childress and the rest of the Vikings administration. From, twincities.com, this is what Chilli had to say about the upcoming meeting;

"I think probably he's coming in, touching and tasting us, and we're doing the same thing to see where his mind is at."

That's right. LaDainian Tomlinson visited with the Vikings. He touched, he tasted, and walked away holding a Vikings jersey. He's flying to New York to meet with the Jets for the rest of the week, but I think we all know that he's going to be wearing our delicious hue of purple next season. He doesn't really have a choice. My pay it forward racket is just too good.

Although LT might not be what he was five years ago, he could still bring something valuable to our 2010 squad. Maybe he'll improve on Chester Taylor's role from last year, maybe he'll teach AD how to properly hold onto a football, maybe he'll make another amazing video like this...



We can only hope.

-Sota

No comments: