Sunday, April 11, 2010

Striking Out

What up world,

I had my first opportunity to watch the Twins this afternoon. While flipping through channels, contemplating watching the Tool Academy finale (again), I discovered that Time Warner San Diego was carrying the game. My excitement levels were turned up to an 11. New season, new lineup, new uniforms, all in front of me in live action. I was going to watch the Twins first sweep of the season, and I couldn't have been happier.

I started watching in the top of the sixth, with the Twins still up by one. Nick Blackburn was going strong and I had the utmost confidence in the team. A blog entry about the team last night was not going to jinx them going into today. I would have been free to write about the team as much as I wanted.

Everything was going smoothly until the bottom of the eighth even though the Sux had tied up the score. A couple of singles led to two men on base, with the corpse formerly known as Andruw Jones at the plate. In my mind, there was no way that he was going to get a hit. Not with Joe Mauer look-a-like, Nick Blackburn dealing. A single to left field later, and the White Sox were up by one.

Still, I wasn't worried. We're a powerhouse team in 2010. Chicago closer Bobby Jenks is overrated. We were going to score a run. No doubt.

After a couple of outs, JJ Hardy got on base, bringing up Mr. Incredible. After a couple of pitches, Thome launched a shot into left field. For a moment I thought it was gone. I stood up from my couch, ready to throw orange peels around the living room in celebration. At some point in its trajectory, however, the ball died dramatically and hit against the outfield wall. My excitement tempered, I sat back down, waiting for the next batter to approach the plate.

For some reason, JJ Hardy did not have the same reaction. Instead of calmly staying on third, he opted for the role as hero. He rounded the base and headed for home. I stood up again, yelling at him to stop, but he didn't seem to hear me. He was about half way down the base path when the ball arrived at home plate. JJ jumped into AJ's arms in what appeared to be some sort of victorious celebration. I was left with my mouth agape, watching the Sux celebrate the victory.

Ozzie Guillen reacted with a smirk on his face. He couldn't believe what happened either. The entire White Sox team was laughing and high fiving each other. I had seen this reaction before, but I couldn't place it at first...

And then it hit me. Last Tuesday I had been asked to fill in on a softball team for a friend. Before we take this journey together, let me say this: I am not a softball player. I play a few times throughout the year, and my performance is generally very disappointing. I regard myself as something of an athlete, but that assertion is not displayed on the softball diamond.

Throughout the game, I hadn't done anything to help the team. On the other hand, I hadn't done anything that was extremely damaging. I hadn't revealed my terrible, "I'm awful at softball" secret. I had hidden it away under the protection of playing catcher and batting last in the lineup.

Our team was trailing the entire game. The last inning arrived, and I approached the plate with two outs, two runs down, and two men on base. All I had to do was get on base for our comeback to continue. I stared down the pitcher and made up my mind that I wasn't going to swing the bat. I planned to put the responsibilities of victory on our next hitter.

I milked the count to three balls and two strikes without taking a swing. The last pitch began arcing towards me, and I was convinced that it was going to land off the plate. There was no way that it was long enough to make it anywhere close. I wasn't going to swing. I was going to take a walk and move onto first base...

I should have swung. I realize that now. I needed to protect the plate. But, in that instant, I stood frozen. I couldn't move. I watched the ball fall in the middle of the plate, heard the umpire call me out, and saw the reactions of the opposing team. They had that same bemused look on their face as the White Sox did this afternoon. You can't get the last out at home in baseball or by a backward K in softball. It's unacceptable.

I don't think that I'll ever get asked to play with the team again. I can accept that. My terrible secret was revealed. I don't think JJ will suffer the same fate. I like that he plays a good shortstop, can hit pretty well, and uses a double initial for a first name. I want him to continue playing with our team, provided that he cuts down on the overly aggressive baserunning.

-Sota

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually the old baseball rule is never make the second out at home plate or the third out at third base. But making the last out at home plate is acceptable (unless you are out by 75 feet like Hardy was).