Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A Little of This...Some of That

What up World,

This is going to be a mixed bag o' stuff, as there is quite a bit going on in Vikings and Twins land, and not a whole lot in the miserable drudgery of the Timberwolves. A couple of quick thoughts on each of my teams.

Timberwolves: The team lost last night to the Spurs, without the presence of Timmy D or Manu G. Tony Parker continues to own us with his teardrop runners and speed of light movements. Tim Thomas had a double-double in the win, and apparently he doesn't enjoy holding hands with Jason Collins



Kevin Love had 17 points and 19 rebounds, for his 21st double-double of the season. I think if a player has more double-doubles than his age, he is having a fairly solid season. I'm not sure if the same rule applies to double-double hamburger orders from In-and-Out, but if it does, I am having a dominant winter.

The Wolves have 6 playoffs bound teams in the next 7 games. I foresee an excellent freefall in the standings in the next couple of weeks. Lose baby, lose!

Vikings: I have to admit that currently, I am obsessively following the saga of Jay Cutler and Denver. I love T-Jax and I have a strong desire to hang out with him on a daily basis, but I think that my love could easily be transferred to Cutler. He's a firey, young guy, with a cannon arm, that could be our quarterback for a long time.

He's receiving a lot of critism for throwing interceptions or not winning big games, which is very similar to the critism another quarterback received early in his career. This quarterback ended up tormenting the Vikings for the majority of my childhood, leading the 'team that shall not be named' to two Super Bowls and winning one of them. I'm not going to mention his name, but I'll give you some clues. He has a penchant for pain killers, Wrangler jeans, and killing small children's dreams.

Twins: There is a whole lot of news coming out of spring training for the T-Wins. Joe Mauer has a sore back from too much humping around, Joe Crede can't seem to find his swing, Jose Mijares apparently loves double-doubles as much as myself, Span is batting under .000, Cuddyer may not be as good as we thought, as well as thousands of other stories.

The excitement I had for the start of spring training has disipated somewhat. It seems like it has lasted for two months already, and I just want the games to freaking start. Than I can start writing about them for real, and escape the overwhelming depression that is the Timberwolves' season.

Other Stuff: I received an overwhelming response to the nickname column. There was a whopping 1 post, which shatters the record for the majority of my articles. The post was a quality one however, offering multiple nickname selections. Here is the list and my thoughts on each:

Meatloaf - I had forgotten that I was "meatloaf" for a year of my life, while I was living in Chicago. I enjoyed the nickname, hearing it repeatedly yelled at me while I hid out in the basement of my apartment. It would have been that much better if an actual meatloaf had been prepared for dinner. Then Brent could have yelled, "Meatloaf, get your meatloaf."

SM2 (Scissor Master 2) - I enjoyed my time as part of the scissor master team, spreading the scissoring love movement across the nation. However, I don't know if I would like it to be a permanent nickname. First of all, it is a long one. The best nicknames are short and sweet, one or two syllables at most. Secondly, the name implies that I was an equal scissoring "master". I cannot pretend that I was at the same level at Brent or Jaimie. I was more a "scissor apprentice" or "scissor in training".

Queer Moe Dee - I love this nickname. There is no specific meaning, other than the combination of an 80's rapper and making fun of me for being gay. The only hesitation that I have is that I'm not actually gay, and I slowly trying to repair my image in that sense. In my last year in Chicago, I received a Sammy the Sailor Christmas ornament, a man-thong for my birthday, and a birthday cake that was served to me by three shirtless guys with whipped cream on their nipples. A nickname like Queer Moe Dee might not help my reputation.

Roomie - Simple and short, but not as unique as some of the others. Also, it might force me to move back to Chicago and start living in the basement again.

Dorkus Malorkus - I've spoken to Brent about this choice. It works well, even though it is longer than some of the other options. The only drawback is that Brent called other people this while he was in third grade. This means that this name is not unique to me. Anyone could be DM.

FOB (Friend of Brent) - This works well, as I already have a t-shirt that proclaims this fact, and I am a friend of Brent. Brent hates pretty much everyone, including Gingers, Leffers, Oppos, and Moons, so this is a fairly exclusive club. I think that this may be my selection for now.

That is all for now. If you would like an article written about you, all you have to do is leave a comment. I have two regular readers, one has received a call out, one hasn't. I need a post Mark. Post!

-Sota (FOB)

No comments: