Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Beginnings of the End

What up world,

There are certain things that I love about living on the West Coast. The ocean, delicious burritos, temperate weather, among other things. However, with the start of football season, I am reminded that there are certain issues that will cause me to eventually move back to the midwest. Namely, the start times of football games.

I am not a morning person to begin with, but with my current employment status, I have rarely been awake prior to noon in the past couple of months. I live a vampire-like lifestyle. Any sunlight that creeps into my room in the early morning hours is met by hissing and grumbling emitting from my lips. The situation is only worsened on Saturday and Sunday mornings, as I've typically spent a significant portion of the late night hours serving drinks and cleaning bar room floors during the previous evening.

To further compound the situation, my favorite teams are rarely broadcast on local television. Although it is a travesty, most residents of San Diego don't care about the Badgers or the Vikings. The result of this, is that I often have to travel to a specific bar to watch my teams live.

This means that I have to be awake by approximately 9 am, and travel to an offsite location, to watch the football teams that I really care about. This might not seem that ridiculous to many of you, but for me, it's pure torture. 4 or 5 hours of sleep is not enough for me to generate enough energy to properly cheer for my Badgers or my Vikes. I watched Purple Jesus' 60 yard touchdown run on Sunday, but was unmotivated to jump and run around the room, as is my usual reaction to something so amazing. I saw Favre tackle Percy in the endzone after his first Viking's touchdown pass, but shed no tears of joy. I couldn't muster the support that the Vikes are going to eventually need for tougher games later on in the season.

I had transitioned from a vampire to a zombie in a relatively short amount of time. I'm not happy about it. I can't see any solution to this problem either. You might be thinking to yourself, "Why don't you just go to sleep a bit earlier?" That's a ridiculous proposal. How dare you even imply something so preposterous.

No, the only thing that I can think of, is to make the move to a location that is more conducive to my lifestyle. A magical location where college games don't start until 11, and NFL isn't played before noon. Someplace that will show the Badgers and Vikings on broadcast television on a weekly basis. A place known as the Central Timezone.

I might tough it out through the rest of this season, but I'm not sure if I can make it through another. Sota Love might be making a return trip before you know it. This might be the beginnings of the end of my time in California. Unless, of course, the Vikings move to LA. Then it's a whole new ballgame.

-Sota

No comments: